Wednesday, 9 December 2015

The Great Man in My Life.

The Great Man in My Life.

Today is the day when a great man in my life: a resilient fighter yet religious, strict disciplinarian yet compassionate, a role model and who had made me what I am through thick and thin experiencing many vicissitudes of life; he began his life over and over again from the scratch keeping the family intact until he breath his last on this day. If nothing but an article dedicated to the great father - 'toh banta hai yaar'.

It was said in 'tse' that you will be reborn as human after one year and if that be right, you would be four years of age some where running around and playing, oblivious of your past life and families you left behind. How I wish you remember a little to get reconnected again like some great beings.

Like all fathers, with stern face I know, you have sacrificed so many things to keep us afloat and alive. You could have easily deserted the family or given up during the hardest times but you did not resort to any cowardly things, the worst things you did during your rock bottom times was to gulp down a peg or two of the famous 'Black Mountain'.

All your children were seeing a little better days than yours because of your effort. We got ourselves engrossed in our own life and families when we realized that your time was up.

You breath your last in front of my eyes, as if to not to disturb and bother anybody it was at 3am when sleep overpowers everyone that I noticed the decreasing frequency in your breathing through the oxygen apparatus. No amount of pure oxygen through the apparatus could stop you from proceeding to the world unknown and we had to let you go with heavy heart knowing full well that you would leave a huge void in our life.

I could not morn openly in the crematorium, putting up a stern face like yours meeting the relatives and well wishers but dying internally. My eyes moist with restrained tears and breathing irregular with suppressed emotions, I did not remember so many people who poured in during your cremation.

But one man who caught my attention was my course mate Dorji who came all the way from Paro, worrying and imagining that I may be suffering without anybody at Thimphu. He was impressed by the support that was provided to me by my relatives and the organization and left.

His pat on my back gave me the much needed encouragement to pull through, had I been left there with the dead body of my dad and me alone here comes the angel, a brother in arms ever ready to provide a helping hand.

Dorji's dropping by taught me a good lesson to just drop by if nothing else to provide a helping hand if required and if not to brighten the mood and to show that 'I care'. Thanks Dorji Lotey. (But that doesn't mean that I am excluding and not grateful to tens of others...)