Monday, 1 September 2014

The Pain in the Neck




The pain in the neck is an English Idiom. It means
Noun
1.
pain in the neck - a bothersome annoying person; "that kid is a terrible pain"
disagreeable person, unpleasant person - a person who is not pleasant or agreeable

2.
pain in the neck - something or someone that causes trouble; a source of unhappiness; "washing dishes was a nuisance before we got a dish washer"; "a bit of a bother"; "he's not a friend, he's an infliction"

The inventor of the idiom knew it well, how it feels to have a pain in the neck. I m having pain in the neck literally and had it in the past also, it feels so uncomfortable as if I m carrying a big weight on the neck. The region around my neck feels so heavy and I cannot keep my neck straight and turn comfortably. I know there is no medicine to cure it other than the pain killer tablet and I m not taking that. I will enjoy the pain and have some reflections on that.


The pain will subside after couple of days and I know, I will forget how it felt like, having a pain in the neck. Occasional sickness and pains reminds us how important it is to have a good health. We tend to forget that when we are not undergoing sickness. I m thankful??? for having a pain in the neck, reminding me the importance of good health. It is neither allowing me to sit straight nor lie down. Any sudden movement gives me a pricking pain as if to remind me that I am barred from moving. It does not allow me to take a deep breath and after taking shallow breath for considerable duration of time I have realized how taking long breath had helped me relax more.

No, I m not going to do “rimdo” either or believe that I got bitten or scratched by a “sonday”. I know what caused it. It is normally caused by an uncomfortable pillow or sleeping in awkward positions. But mine was caused by sudden jerk. I got up so suddenly from sleep and I heard a crackling sound near the neck region and slowly the pain aggravated and now I m having a stiff neck. By virtue of having experienced the pain before I know that it will subside as the time passes until then I have to bear with it.

I will not be able to play games for couple of days. I will not be able to play archery for couple of days as I m having tough time typing this also. A slight pain at wrong place is depriving us of so many things that can be done easily. I feel sad imagining people with permanent disabilities by birth or caused by accidents. Never again shall I look down upon them if I bump into them but empathize with their problems and do whatever little that I can do for them. The streets and buildings here should be made more friendly for differently-abled persons (I avoid saying disabled person). No one thinks of that unless we become one of them.

‘Health is wealth’ can be understood best when one is not so healthier. And I read it somewhere that in order to enjoy sleep, good health and wealth it needs to be interrupted, how true!