Sunday, 17 August 2014

Giving Way to the Younger Generations




Zeko came towards me one day and sniffed me to be accepted on his territory, it must have been the day he got the power from Jigtu.

Five years back when I first came here, there used to be a very friendly dog named Jigtu. He used to be the boss of the area. He had one buddy called Wolfie who was friendlier than him. But Wolfie went missing without a trace. He was a smart looking dog. He must have been taken by the Indian truckers or even worse, taken by the people from Nagaland to be barbequed. Perhaps that was the price he paid, for being too friendly. Other than my son no one seemed to care much about him going missing.

Now the area is ruled by a new gang. There are seven of them in the gang but the boss is Zeko for he had the audacity to come and sniff me and accept me on my own ground. He is very fast in running and looks very active and frisky. I know that he must have been born here in the campus only, maybe with many others litters. He must have been destined to become the boss considering the hard life of stray dogs and surviving all the hardship to grow into a fine adult. Other liters that were not so fit must have died, the survival of the fittest being seen here and exemplified by them.
 
Recording me in his database of smell
The spontaneous taking over of the charge by the younger generation from the older generation without a fight or bloodshed amazed me, or did I miss the fight for the power?  I would not have known the name of the new boss – Zeko, had it not been painted on his fur with the remnant of the chemical (mendhi) which is used for blackening the hair. Most people use it for colouring the graying hair to conceal the initial sign of aging.   

Jigtu is seen roaming alone and the gang does not seem to mind him being here as if to show him respects for protecting the territory thus far. He is blind in one eye and became a little sluggish. He is, I think, enjoying the life after retirement without having to lead the pack. He never seems to bother about the intruders also.

Such are the things happening right below our nose amongst the stray dogs - that are so common in Bhutan - and yet we miss the show.

There is nothing satisfying like resigning honourably and letting the younger generations take over, after one had done one’s part, accommodating and creating vacancies for the more enthusiastic and fresh lots.